Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Post in Pictures

I’ve always considered myself to be an extremely visual person, which is why I have such a personal relationship with my camera. I didn’t realize, however, how sensory the world can be until India. It’s not that we don’t have our own sights and sounds to enjoy in the States, but I think it may take a different culture to wake up certain parts of us that fall asleep in familiarity. And India has got to be one of the best places to wake up in. The colors are brighter, smells more potent, and sounds more unique. And the way India feels - you can’t capture that on camera, but I’m sure trying (even with the occasional kid hanging on my arm).

I want to experience this journey, not just capture it (although capturing it has been the adventure of my life)! These are the photos and video I have always wanted to capture. It’s like when you have an itch but you can’t find where it’s exactly at. I’ve finally found my creative itch in India.

The most enjoyable thing to capture is the people - because they’re amazing. They have no sense of personal space or “me-time,” and while I do love my me-time I am humbled by the communal commitment to people. It’s taken me approximately thirty-five minutes to write this much because the children keep rushing up to me. I have no idea what they’re saying, but I get the general point: play with me! About ten minutes ago, I was completely distracted by a family of gypsies that wandered into our thatched-roofed community center. With a smile, the father signed for food for the baby. I had none to give, but he seemed to know of something I could give - pictures! It wasn’t long before I was clicking away and showing them their faces on my camera’s little screen.


It’s small encounters like this that have made this place so incredible. I can’t have a conversation with these people, but I love them. The people in India, while so different in many ways, are the same as you and me. I knew this before coming, but seeing them in day to day life instead of the stereotypes we see in TV and film has been eye opening. They yawn in their cars, laugh at innapporiate times, show each other their scars, scratch their names onto seats in public transportation, and talk over each other. I already miss this place and I’m not even gone yet.

I have a chance to share just a few photos of some of the people we’re getting to know and experiences we’re having. Thank you for all your prayers and support - this trip would look very different without them!

Most of the kids in the village were quick to grab hold of a GCC team member during our tour of the village. This little boy was too shy, so I grabbed his hand. He's been by my side during shoots so much since then.

We first met Sarah and Simone outside the airport at Chennai. They left Germany for two months looking for an adventure, so Raj invited them on the best kind of all - adventure with a purpose! We are so glad they were with us!

This is Rojah. She was the first to reach out to me in the village, and I like her especially because I think she’s funny. I can’t know for sure since I don’t understand her, but if I could I think we would be laughing buddies.

We love you and miss you all. See you soon!

PS - Plane turbulence is scary. :(

PSS - Mom, can you have french fries ready for me when I get home? xoxo

Posted by Elle

2 comments:

  1. Elle, I read this and knew immediately that it was written by you. We miss you all and are so proud of what you're doing for Christ. I love virtually following along with ur trip and seeing the impact you all are making. You guys rock this world!!!
    Sam Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle, I agree. India is one of the most sensory places I have ever been. Everything is alive with color. I am so glad you are there to capture it to share with us.

    ReplyDelete