Saturday, March 26, 2011

We just left

It's hard to believe that we are starting our trip back home already. Even though we are only 15 minutes away from the village, I miss them already. I wish I could stay longer.
The beginning of the week for me was hard. I loved the kids but I didn't think I was going to feel this way when I left. I want to go back and see their smiling faces again. Maybe I will make an excuse to go back just for a few minutes. The people there are so loving and amazing I can't put into words the love and care I felt while I spent these few short but precious days here. The kids and people of Kalavai have forever changed me for the better. I can't think of a better way to spend a week of my life. The unknowns and worries that I was nervous about at the beginning of the week are gone and seem pointless to have ever worried about in the first place.
Struggle is everywhere in Kalavai but you can't see it when you are looking at their gorgeous smiling faces. They radiate hope and life even though they have been through pain and hurt that I will probably never have to endure. I want the absolute best life for each of the wonderful people of Kalavai. If i could I would bring them all home with me.
One little boy I got the closest to. His name is Renu. He is the funniest, craziest, most loving little ball of cuteness. I had the privilege to have him in my class at the school we taught at this week and everyday after school the two of us would hang out during out village time. Since he is only 5 years old and doesn't really know much English there really isn't anything we talk about, so we just played. I love that little kid like he was my own little brother, and if I could I would bring him home with me there is no doubt.
Throughout the whole week I haven't realized how much the people of Kalavai have effected me but today when I sat down on the bus and looked out at all the people I had the chance to live with for a week, I realized I loved them and didn't want to leave. It brought me to tears, but I know I will be back. Hopefully sooner than later.

Jessica Ekema

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Jessica. Although I know of you (through others that I know) I don't really know you, but can really empathize with what you were feeling when you wrote this. When our team left the village in January, as we were pulling out of the village, my tent-mate just looked at me and said "no words". It's difficult to find the words for what you just experienced but take my advice and make sure you keep that feeling going when you get back state-side. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete