Thursday, December 30, 2010

The other side of the world seemed far away........

But I have realized that India has become closer to my heart than I ever imagined. A country that I had only ready about in text books or watched programs about on television is reality. The dirt touches my toes and the people are holding my hands, each and every time melting my heart in every way. Reaching out to the community back home seems easier now after seeing how these incredible people spend their days.
We arrived yesterday to many open arms and smiles on their faces. I couldnt help but feel at their mercy, wanting to do whatever I could to help them for the entire length of our stay. Their needs here are many, but with every team that travels here, I have faith that those needs will slowly diminish.
The children have touched my life in such a special way. They long to be touched and laugh constantly when we are with them. I was able to draw pictures with them last evening, asking them to show me what their families look like to them. Their responses were heartwarming and each one of them walked away with a bracelet that we made together. I feel their fingers run through my hair or a faint touch of one of their hands on my back and I know that GOD is there with us, breaking down barriers and showing his love for them through me.
I was able to go shopping town with Raj and Rachele and what an experience!!! Rachele and I were shaking hands with the people in town and they were amazed that there were Americans interacting with them. One man has probably 10 pictures of us on his phone. Raj took great care of us and we saved his life from an enormous bug that I swear was going to take off his foot. But things are OK :)
So, what am I learning my second day in the village??? GOD is great and these are his people. AFter living life back home, going to work then school and then trying to find time for God within this hectic daily schedule, I am learning that GOD has given me 10 days to be with him 24-7 and live through me every second of the way. I dont have to ask for the childrens time, they are here always, just like GOD is. When I return home, GOD will not be someone that is on my schedule...he will become my schedule, and everything else will fall into place around him.
Something that I never thought would be possible because of time or money has become a part of my life, and without GOD this never would have been possible. He has been working on me for a few years now, to put others first and show love and grace any way I can. With GOD, culture barriers can be broken, the sick can be healed and unbelievers can believe if there are people willing to take a risk and go wherever they are called. India has become my place of calling.
Thank you for all of your prayers, I love you's to my family and Brent...be safe and God Bless :)

Posted by: Lena

2 comments:

  1. Excellent blogging, guys! Please keep it up! Know that you are loved and held in prayer! Please extend my love and greetings to the community! Happy New Year, by the way!
    - samurai jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible post!! Thank you for putting into words some of the very exact feelings that I have felt while I was in India....it's so hard to explain...but you did an incredible job!! Know that we are praying for you all!!!!

    Jess Stemm

    ReplyDelete