Saturday, July 2, 2011

Same place... different experience

Today we spent the day going to places that I've already been. Yet it was a completely different experience. GCC India teams generally spend the first day in India touring the holy places of St. Thomas in Chennai. I've done this before and it is very humbling to be reminded what people in Jesus' time had to go through in order to spread the gospel. Today was even more moving than the first time that I visited these places as I now have a heart that beats even faster for these people. St. Thomas was commissioned to preach the love of Jesus to the people of India. He was to go to India and spread the word about Jesus... just like we are. Today we visited two holy sites... the cave where St. Thomas hid when he was being pursued by those who wanted to kill him and the mount where he was actually killed. There was something very special about both places because we were able to witness services that were being conducted at both places and I have never seen that before. It was beyond humbling to be reminded that today I walked in the same footsteps of a man who actually was taught by and did life with Jesus. He doubted the resurrection... and he touched Jesus' wounds... And there I sat in a pew not 50 feet from where he was killed... praying for the strenth to be the hands and feet of Jesus in the very same country that Thomas was. And then we gathered in the cave where he hid, sang a hymn and prayed as a group. It was inspiring and humbing all at the same time. In the states to be a Christ follower the only persecution we face is being laughed at or ridiculed. In India declaring that you follow Jesus can mean that you will be beaten, alienated from your family... houses burned down. In Thomas' time, it meant death. I love the people of India with all of my heart and to be able to do my part to spread the word to these people... well, I'm not worthy. But I am definitely thankful that God uses broken people like me... and doubters like Thomas to remind people that they matter to God. Tomorrow, we go to the village... and I am DEFINITELY going to keep that in mind! God Bless!


Jennifer Archer

1 comment:

  1. Praying for all of you! Have a great time. Heard something about a limo ride? You'll are very special. Kevin and Janet

    ReplyDelete